Friday, June 29, 2007

NewsFlash: Tall White Guy Plans to Shag 29 prostitutes in Bangkok




The slight goodwill I was feelings towards Koreans has evaporated within a week. Not really a surprise there. The new foreign teacher, Nathan, big improvement over David, like he doesn't show up to work drunk. Minor things like that. Anyway, he's been a lot more friendly than I was when i first got here, trying to start conversations with the Korean teachers and generally just being nice to them. But of course, they are cold, ice-cold, either that, or they are mentally impaired. Which is quite possible since teaching at a hagwon here, if you're Korean, is liking working at the Burger King of the education system. No one takes it seriously, especially the kids, it's their after "real" school playground. So yesterday one of the Korean teachers started, I won't say scolded, but telling him in a not so sweet way, that he had to give more tests to his classes. But here's the thing, nobody ever told him how things work at the school. I filled him in on most of the details, but there's no orientation, none of the bosses explain how to teach. But still, the Korean teachers get all pissed when he does something wrong. It's like if you took a carpenter, threw him on jumbo jet, told him hey you're a pilot now, then after he crashed the plane into a mountain, you bitched about how could this possibly happen? Didn't he know how to fly a plane? Sometimes I honestly think that all Koreans were born with some kind of genetic disorder that makes them act in the most retarded way possible.

We got pretty wrecked last Friday, which is always the recipe for a worthless weekend. Since Bender was making his last rounds around town, we got a bunch of free drinks. Apparently I also drank one of the bartenders drinks and then immediately forget because when they tried to charge us for it, I bitched like a little girl. We had big plans to get downtown and dance with guys on Saturday, and I was gonna try to sneak out the horsehead, but instead we woke up for 20 minutes to get dinner and then went back to sleep. I hope Bender's last weekend in Korea was all he ever hoped it would be.

It's monsoon season now, which means it's 85 degrees everyday with a humidity level of "I can't get them off my leg" on the well-respected Sack-Stick scale. It also rains everyday, and even when it's not raining, old ladies insist on putting up tent-sized umbrellas over their tiny heads. Then they just stand in the middle of the sidewalk all day waiting for me to try to get around them. Actually, Koreans basically love to use umbrellas for pretty much all weather conditions. If the sun is out, umbrella time. (Hats and sunglasses have not yet been invented in Korea.) If it's cloudy, it might rain and god forbid a drop of that nasty water touches their skin, umbrella time. When it's really raining, the umbrellas are up and Koreans immediately seek safe, sturdy shelter.

One more day of work tomorrow than it's off to Thailand for a week, where my life will be awesome. However, since this trip will involve four different flights, that means there's at least a 95 percent chance of me dying in a fiery wreck so for my own comfort, I just want to say goodbye now. So goodbye and I love you. If I do get lucky and make it back to Seoul, when I do, I will be under three months left in Korea, at which time I will be able to taste America.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This was by far the most entertaining post yet. I almost peed my pants at 3 different quotes.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home