Tuesday, November 07, 2006

One month, baby! I made it. Just eleven more to go in this grand adventure. I think I'll consider myself completely settled in once I get a TV that actually works and a bank account with a real Korean debit card! The front desk guy, whom Erika and David refer to as my boyfriend because he seems to invent reasons to come over to my apartment all the time after work, said he would get me a TV "sooner or later." Who knows that means, especially from a Korean.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of money and now I'm suffering. I have what amounts to $30 that needs to last me until Friday when I'll get my big envelope of won. It'll cost me about $10 the rest of the week for the cab to work, so that leaves me $20 for food over the next three days. Usually I drop at least that much in one day, sometimes one meal, so the ole budget is about to get a real tightening. It'd be nice if this country, which considers itself quite advanced, actually had ATM machines that accepted foreign cards. Of course, I could just borrow a few bucks from Erika to hold me over, but I feel this is just lesson I need to learn. I'm not living at freakin Disney World. I have a real job. And I want to save real money. Too bad there's so much real beer here.

I tried playing Heads Up 7-Up with my classes on Friday since it seems all Bender does in class is play games. I thought I'd give it a try. It was a disaster. First off, they all cheat. All the little bastards were totally looking when they got picked. But it's kind of understandable because they were not getting tapped on the head. They were getting smacked. Punched. Pretty much beat the hell up. The middle school kids insisted on turning the lights off during the game and guess what? Yeah, bad teacher. Should not have let that happen. It turned into WrestleMania XXV.

I got my computer plug, by the way. I was quite pleased with the turn around. It really only took a week for Dell to ship the thing to NY and then for it to arrive here today. The United States Postal Service, I love you guys. I will miss the Internet cafes though and their cushy seats and of course, all those people playing computer games at 5am.

It looks like one of the foreign teachers, David, is staying on board after all. He got a promotion of sorts and he'll now be my supervisor. That should be, well, great. Still waiting for my boss to officially get the boot though. She was touching me way too much today. And then tonight, she's like "Ryan, even after I leave, you can still call me whenever you want if you need anything." I ignored that and continued to wonder how it got so damn cold here today. Seriously, 70 on Saturday and damn snow today. The ondol (the heated floor system) is saving my ass right now. Check off that one as another of my favorite Korean traditions.

Here's a bad tradition. SITTING ON THE FREAKIN FLOOR. There's a reason why most societies sit on chairs while eating. The floor is hard! It's uncomfortable. If you're a dog, fine, sit on the floor. But my body just isn't in any condition to be sitting on a floor Indian style for a couple hours. Luckily most restaurants here have a chair option and yeah, those are the only ones we go into. The chair, man, never take it for granted.

I'd love to keep writing, but I need watch my illegally downloaded copy of Borat now. I like.

(Photos- a couple shots of the new, and much nicer, apartment)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home