Thursday, October 19, 2006

The mosquitos. Seriously. They are ruining my life. The last two nights I have spent more than 3 hours hunting for them in my room. I hop into bed around 2am. Then the buzzing begins. There's always one. I can kill most of them by just slamming them into the wall. But that one. He's so fast. So crafty. So freakin loud. I flick the light on. He disappears. Doesn't make a sound. The second it gets dark and I make any sort of attempt to engage in sleep, he makes his grand return. Sometimes he's a real bitch. He'll wait a half hour or so, just at that moment when I'm about to enter another world and bam, buzzzzzzz, right in my ear. It took me until 6am last night to finally kill the bastard. Granted, I may be partly to blame as I've been leaving the living window open a couple hours each night so I can steal Erika's internet. But still, it's pretty bad. My students kept pointing to the side of my head today yelling, "teacher teacher." Actually they just yell that constantly but that's not the point.

The whole teaching thing has really progressed quite nicely. I am honestly enjoying being around these kids. Even after I finished teaching today, I played around with a few of the middle school students for a bit. There's always a couple girls in each class who are just angels. The boys are usually another story. One class I had today, all of the boys got zeros on their speaking tests. And they don't care. They just sit there and laugh. And sadly I am not allowed to beat them, despite the intense desire to do so. The Korean teachers do hit them with this stick, which is awesome. I think I teach about 13 different classes each week and I'd say only about three of them really make me want to hang myself. Otherwise, after a week and a half of teaching, I couldn't be happier.

I've started to talk to the Korean teachers in my office a bit more. They're all woman, mostly in their 20s, and I guess they're about 6 of them. They all seem pretty cool, although I think some of them are afraid to talk to me because they're neverous about speaking English to a Westerner.

The one holdup and this is probably the case at a lot of jobs is my boss. She's 37 years old, never been married which in Korea means she's got some serious issues. Whenever we go out after work with her, basically when she finds out we're going out and then tags along, she's always talking about how she's lonely. I think she started crying at the bar table last night. That around the time one of the Korean teachers asked me if I liked Korean girls. Which is a dumb question on the surface, since I wouldn't go someplace where 99.5 percent of the population is one race if I didn't find their members of the opposite sex attractive. But anyway, what she was really asking was whether I wanted to date a Korean girl and I think probably if I'd be willing to marry my boss. When I said I wasn't looking for anything serious and wasn't going to bring a girl home, my boss started with "well, you shouldn't rule anything out. anything can happen." Alright, gross. Oh yeah, my boss also slept with one of the other foreign teachers on his first night in Korea. Now the whole office knows about it and yeah, there was some crying involved with that situation too.

I thought I was moving to a new apartment in a month. But that's gotten moved up rapidly. I think the date is now set for next Monday. The new place with be smaller, probably a studio, but it's supposed to be in better shape than my current one. It's also right next to the Suyu station, the subway stop, which is great, since right now I've got to walk 10 minutes to get there. Only downside is I will probably be seperated from Erika and since there's no chance I can speak in Korean to cab driver and tell him how to get me to work, that could be a dilemma.

Random thought: It's amazing how many people here blame the U.S. for the situation in North Korea. You just want to be like, Are you serious?

Koreans guys have no gaydar. They all carry man purses, which are really women's purses. They walk around with their hands all over each other. Granted, some of them are probably actually gay, but come on, the whole damn country can't be knocking at the back door.

I'll post some and add pictures later, once I drag myself out of this Internet Cafe with the 20 Koreans playing computer games.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy a mosquito net. this is a nonevent.

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home