Monday, April 09, 2007

Soccer Balls and Soju


I'm beginning to get the sense that my school could close down any day. Since I got here, we've gone from 6 Korean teachers and 3 foreigners to 4 Koreans and 2 foreigners. It doesn't seem like we've lost many students so maybe the bosses are just trying to squeeze out more money for themselves, but I still always get worried whenever the Korean teachers have meetings with each other. Like today, the head teacher handed a piece of paper to the other three and then they sat there mostly in silence for like a half hour, with one of them chiming in with something every 5 minutes. I thought that was it. I should pack my bags now. There's also a lot of books being taken off the shelves in the office for some reason. I'm probably just paranoid, the big test will be whether or not I get my paycheck tomorrow. Really, I just wish I could be kept in the loop a little more. The Koreans don't seem to realize or they just don't care that in no way do I feel a part of the social atmosphere at work. They make no effort to inform me of anything going on or really ever speak English besides during class. In the end, I guess I didn't come here just to make friends with a bunch of terrible Korean woman, but still, it'd be nice to have a clue sometimes.

We went to a Korean league soccer game yesterday at World Cup Stadium. It was rough getting there because of the early start, 3pm, but Bender forced me out of bed. It was pretty awesome, though, weather was great and by the end of the game, I was feeling almost as maniacal as the 60,000 Koreans in the stands. Sadly, Seoul didn't score a goal and lost 1-0 so I think we missed out on the place really going crazy. But it was 8 bucks for a ticket, so we'll probably be going again. Also, every kid under the age of 14 at the stadium brought a soccer ball to the game, so during halftime, it was a madhouse outside by the concession stands. Balls were flying everywhere. One of them, in fact, almost eliminated any chance for me to have children. The second the horn rang to signal the end of intermission, every one of the Korean kids sprinted up the stairs yelling "Second Half!" It was quite a scene.

Friday night was solid, pounded soju, took pictures with another thing that looks like a penis and then went to bar/club place where two Korean girls talked to us for a while so they could practice English. I offended a big white guy by doing something. That white guy left but his arab friend stayed. I pretended to hump the chair where the white guy had been sitting, arab guy was not happy. These things happen. Saturday continued the glorious routine of sleeping until 2pm. I (definitely not Bender) popped the Saturday celebration xanax, which every time, means I am going to sleep from about 7pm - 10pm. But man, what a glorious sleep that is. Soju war and finally ended up at the Show Bar, which is the best bar in soju. It's new but it's owned by four guys who all have giant pictures of themselves painted up on the wall. One guy, Terry, has been absolutely tanked both times we've been in there. I'm pretty sure the other guys don't even let Terry work behind the bar. We thought this guy Joy was the sober one who actually made sure Terry didn't set the place on fire but something happened. Joy was fine, but then he went outside for 10 minutes, and when he came back, he couldn't stand up. Basically, the place is great. Another guy Tops gave us free nachos and then I beat his and Bender's ass in darts. I'm much better than Bender now. Hopefully we remain the only white guys who go to this place, because if the slime that usually hangs out at DragonBar moves down the strip a little bit, it could ruin everything. Oh, I also forgot to bring out my key card to get back into my apartment building on Saturday night. So we sat outside the door for a good half hour eating McDonalds (see picture) and I think Bender also kicked me a bunch of times.

2 Comments:

Blogger davefrost said...

i like your horse head

2:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where are the pictures of this new thing that resembles a penis?

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home