Sunday, January 14, 2007

So I made a short video in class last week. It's nothing special, but it does capture a bit of what I deal with everyday. Namely children yelling things in Korean and then me telling them to speak English. It's a vicious cycle. Hopefully I can get some higher quality videos posted on here soon. I am kind of excited about it. It could be a real spark plug for my blog, which is already an international phenomenon.



I met with this Korean guy Wilson last Tuesday and he's definitely a shady character. Among the things he told me: his parents won $250,000 on a slot machine in Atlantic City. His friend's dad is the boss of Korean Air so he can get Mike and I free tickets to Japan. His parents think he is in Japan going to grad school right now so they send him $5,000 each month. He spent his 5G for January in two weeks, mainly on bottles of expensive liquor. I was kind of intrigued by it all but some things just don't add up. Mainly he says he lived on Long Island for eight years, but when I asked what other towns were near Syosset, he couldn't name one. He borrowed $25 from me to buy drinks that night. He then said he'd pay me back by buying bottles of liquor at a booking bar this weekend. He never called. All in all though, I think it was a fair gamble. He'll probably call me to hangout tomorrow night after which I'll tell him for the hundredth time that I don't get drunk on Monday nights. Really, I just want the free plane tickets. Oh, he also told me he would come with me to Thailand, in September.

I made the mistake of letting the students get a hold of my cell phone. So now they all call me. Or send me text messages that say something like "Happy Birthday!" or "You Crazy Lion." One girl sent me a text at 11pm last week as I was getting ready to fall asleep, it said ""RYAN IM SALLY CALL ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING CALL ME SORRY". I was actually really impressed this girl could even write that much in English, she's a pretty terrible student, but despite her commendable efforts, I didn't call her. I think all the Korean teachers think I'm retarded now because students call me while they are in the school, about 20 feet away from me. Despite this, I still answer my phone. The kids then always hang up immediately.

I've come to the conclusion that a solid 90 percent of the white people in this country are douchebags. I'm sure they all view me in the same light, but they all have this nasty attitude about them. In Itaewon Friday night, some guy was lecturing me about how he knew five languages or something. Earlier that night, in Sinchon, we hung out at the same whitey joint we spent New Year's Eve out. I'd been drinking soju (so anything that follows here is completely acceptable) so I decided to attempt to hand the bartender a piece of paper that said "2 8===D's, Please." Bender didn't allow that so I slipped the paper underneath a few music requests in front of the DJ. We didn't stay long enough to find out if they ever played my song. Anyway white people, I asked this white girl where she was from and she said Canada. Then since I'm terribly lame, I probably said something like "Oh, it's really cold then." So then we got into a fight, with her claiming wherever it was she lived in Canada was actually warm and me refusing to believe anything she said. She was a bitch, I think. Then last night as a white guy is leaving DragonBar, a bartender looks over and waves to him. The white guy gives him the finger. Maybe that was just an inside joke or something, but sometimes it's easy to understand the anti-westerner sentiment over here.

I stole a stapler from McDonalds on Friday night. I'm not really sure why. I have no real use for a stapler over here. We also went to McDonalds last night. And when I finish this blog, I'll probably go to KFC because apparently I have little desire to ever be even remotely healthy. KFC is amazing though. Yeah, I'm hungry now. This blog isn't nearly as good as the spicy chicken sandwich.

Photo- This one is looking down the street my apartment is located on. It's absolutely gorgeous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home