Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I'll post this right before I head out on what may be a huge mistake. I'm meeting this Korean guy Wilson at DragonBar. His parents lived in America. Got kicked out of NYU when cops found weed in his room. He calls me all the time and since I'm not working til 2 tomorrow, I agreed to grab a few drinks. Here's the issue, he asked me to pay for his drinks tonight. Apparently his monthly allowance from his parents hasn't arrived here yet. Now usually if this was a guy I met once in a bar, I'd tell him to screw off, but I actually do believe this guy has a ton of cash. He says he hasn't had a job for six months and he went on a two week vacation to New Zealand last month. So yeah I'm buying this guy drinks tonight. I'm just gonna bring 40,000 won to the bar, though, so he isn't tempting to order a bottle of Jack Daniels, which it seems all the Koreans do in that bar. He also told me he wants to bring me to a "booking club" some time. I think I need to experience this to be able to explain it, but apparently you pay a ton of money for a bottle of booze and it's the waiters' jobs to get girls and literally push them over to your table. The more you drink, the more you pay, the more attractive the girls become. Just a bit sleazy, but hey, if Wilson wants to pay for it all and I get a written guarantee that I won't be raped, I could be enticed.

Oh, obviously I got another white guy's phone number this weekend. That was after Bender ditched me when I passed out from taking 10 shots of soju at 6pm. That was lame. At Woodstock, I got a few free drinks, including one called a MonkeyBrain. I was really scared at first because all the bartenders were surrounding me and when I asked what was in it, one of them said, "Have you ever tried Ecstasy?" But I drank it and I didn't start feeling up the white guy, so I think it was just alcohol.

Work is a breeze right now, mainly because of the whole working 32 hours a week this month. It's nice to get off work at 5pm too and actually has some of the day to work with. I thought it would be awesome not having to work until 2pm but that means by the time I get off at 10, eat dinner and get home, it's already midnight and there's no chance I'm leaving the apartment again.

I asked one of my classes what the word "graceful" meant today and they said it was a "sexy dancer". Not exactly. One girl told me she didn't do her homework because she was in the bathroom. In the bathroom for an entire week apparently. She should probably see a doctor about that. Sometimes I really would like to know how to speak Korean, if only to understand what the hell the kids are saying all class. I confiscated a huge piece of paper from one class and told the kids to read it. They read it as everyone else cracked up. It was basically just a big list of curse words written in Korean. I took it away and threw it in the trash. I could have shown the head Korean teacher, but she would have maimed the kids and plus, I'm the cool teacher. No one gets in trouble.

I think I've given up ham and cheese sandwiches for good. Instead I'm going to Dunkin Donuts every morning. Yeah. It's so bad though, cause I order a blueberry bagel with cream cheese. Somehow it takes them a good 10 minutes to make this so naturally I am always 10 minutes late to work. Most days I also get a chocolate donut, but I try to hide that when I get to school so the healthy Korean teachers don't yell at me. I usually have a Korean call and order me lunch, which is always a great deal. It's like $3.50 to get a huge dish delivered in about 10 minutes. And of course, there's no tipping. Sorry, deliveryman, it's your culture. I always go to the pasta place around the block from my apartment at least once a week. The owner loves me and gives me a free cup of hot chocolate after my meal. But I always feel obligated to finish the drink, which leads to me feeling terrible when I finally leave the place. Whatever, it's still my favorite place to eat. I guess I'm also not eating much. I weighed myself for the first time since I got here when we were in China. I've lost 15 pounds. I thought maybe the scale was broken but the nurse at the doctors office confirmed it last week. I'm 66 kg or for normal people, 145 lbs. The smart money is on me gaining everything back within a week of returning home and returning to my old meal plan of three meals of Taco Bell a day. Alright, I have to go hangout with a sketchball Korean. Annyeong kyeseyo.

Photos- an old one from Lotte World (yeah, the sign says "With Lovers", perfect) and one of those things that are all over Korea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home